Summer has officially descended upon us with soggy heat waves, thunderous storms, brilliant Supermoons and sunshiney landscapes. I am a native Floridian and I tolerate heat and humidity extremely well (though I can’t say the same for my hair), but a chilly sweet treat on a hot summer day is a welcome relief after a long, sweaty day at the beach or a ten foot walk to my car over a 110 degree blacktop parking lot. This delicious, sugarless frozen yogurt is a simple and nutritious alternative to heavy, fatty ice creams and pre-packaged frozen yogurts which contain mountains of sugar.
– 1 1/2 cups mango, fresh or frozen
– 1 cup fat free plain (or vanilla) Greek yogurt
– 1/4 tsp rosewater
– 1 tbs raw, unprocessed agave nectar
– 1/4 tsp vanilla extract (omit if using vanilla yogurt)
– A handful of crushed, salted pistachios for serving
– Fresh mint leaves for garnish
1. Puree mango in a food processor or blender. Add yogurt and blend. Add rosewater, agave, and vanilla extract and blend for at least 2-3 minutes or until mixture is completely smooth.
2. Pour mixture into an airtight container and freeze for at least 8 hours.
3. When yogurt has frozen, remove from freezer prior to serving and allow it to thaw for a bit (or cheat and put it in the microwave for 20 second increments until it is soft enough to spoon and serve).
4. For each serving of frozen yogurt, take a large handful of pistachios and place them in a sealable plastic bag. Seal bag and gently crush pistachios with a wooden spoon. Sprinkle crushed pistachios over frozen yogurt.
5. Garnish with fresh mint leaves and serve.
A special thank you to my enormously talented aunt for the beautiful, hand made ceramic dish featured in this post.